Nutrition Shopping Checklist
When making healthy substitutes for traditional recipe ingredients, keep these points in mind:
- 95% lean ground beef can replace standard ground beef. Leaner beef means less saturated fat, but you still get the same taste and texture in your chili and pasta recipes.
- Substitute lean ground turkey for red meat. You can cut out red meat entirely with this heart-healthy substitute. Ground turkey is leaner but provides the same texture as beef. Use it with the same spices in your chili recipes. It also makes a great meat filling for tacos and pizza.
- Buy reduced-fat and fat-free cheese to replace the full-fat variety. Fat-free cheese has virtually no saturated fat but still provides calcium and protein. You can make an excellent, healthy pizza with low-fat and no-fat cheese, but remember to pay closer attention to baking times as these cheeses have different melting points — your cooking times will vary from the original recipe.
- When making salads, add fresh fruit such as sliced apples and pears to add fiber and vitamin C. These extra ingredients also add flavor and texture.
Healthy ingredients in your food are only the first step. It’s easy to overlook what is served with the meals themselves. What are you drinking at the dinner table? Many people who dedicate themselves to a healthier lifestyle decide soft drinks and coffee are out. However, what do you replace these old habits with?
- Herbal teas such as chamomile, peppermint and jasmine provide a relaxing alternative to caffeinated sodas, and can be served iced as well as hot. Of the three, jasmine does have caffeine, but not nearly as much as a cup of coffee.
- 100% pure fruit juice with no sugar added can provide a healthy dose of vitamin C. It contains less sugar than regular soda, and more nutrients than diet soda. Try to buy your fruit juice fresh whenever possible.
- Sparkling water comes in a variety of sugar- and sweetener-free flavors, and you can combine these carbonated beverages with lemon or limeade for a fun, soda-type beverage without the calories, caffeine or sugar.
These indgredient substitutes are all readily available in most grocery stores and require no complicated preparation. They are all excellent ways to move into a healthier lifestyle and a more balanced diet.
Important Walmart Disclaimer: All content, including but not limited to, recipe and health information provided in Healthy Living, is for educational purposes only. Such content is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the diagnosis, treatment and advice of a medical professional. Such content does not cover all possible side effects of any new or different health program. Consult your medical professional for guidance before changing or undertaking a new diet or exercise program. Advance consultation with your physician is particularly important if you are under eighteen (18) years old, pregnant, nursing, or have health problems.